Friday, January 13, 2012

Friday Finishes

Chicken and waffles from May's Counter, Tuscon, Arizona.
And it was always like that in Coal Harbour. Some people got old and some died. I left parts of myself some places and found others unexpectedly. New people appeared on the scene and others disappeared before I had a chance to say goodbye. All kinds of ordinary people gave their whole hearts to things you wouldn't think you could give your heart to. I made discoveries like the reason for Miss Honeycut's anecdotes, and other things, like the whereabouts of my sweaters, remained a mystery forever. And Coal Harbour never became a big resort or swank tourist spot or anything, but I didn't care because I knew that as long as you lived there you could get anything you wanted. And it always came on a waffle. (Recipe to follow.) 

I adore Polly Horvath's Everything on Waffle. Such a delectable choice for reading aloud and especially for a budding gourmand- if you think spaghetti, roast beef, ice cream, anchovies, or cotton candy on a waffle are gourmet delights. I've never had chicken and waffles but let me tell you, vanilla ice cream and hot fudge on a waffle is scrumtious.  Pair this with Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory , fire up the waffle maker this weekend and have a literary feast. I think Miss Bowzer and Willy Wonka would get along swell together.

3 comments:

  1. Two of my very favorite books! Thanks Miss Kitty for bringing them to the attention of even more potential fans. How about chocolate waffles---an homage to both books! Terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hummingbird restaurant in Fairfax advertises fried chicken & waffles frequently on their specials board. Like Coal Harbour, you can get anything you want if you live in Fairfax!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete